Monday, August 17, 2015

Another adventure.

So here's the story of our adventure yesterday.

A week after hospitalization Sam's skin was the best it's been in a very long time. It was fun putting his lotion on his baby soft skin. He normally feels like an alligator.

A little over a week ago, he started little rashes on hips and lower belly under his diaper. I had switched diaper brands and thought it was just irritated. So we switched back, but nothing changed. That is normal for him though. He will react to something. Get red skin. And it will take weeks to go away.

The condition of his face waxed and waned, and his neck and by his collar bone started getting red and dry. Over the weekend (of course not during the week when docs are open) the rash on his hips were developing small super painful boil looking bumps. Lots of them. And the dryness on his neck was changing and looking more like the impetigo he had. His temp was low but close to 100 so I knew his body was fighting. I didn't want to put him back on antibiotics because of all the havoc they wreak on the rest of his body. I called the doc and she agreed it was time to be seen - and the sooner the better. We were going to head to the urgent care since it was Sunday. But when his doc called ahead and gave them Sam's story, they thought the ER would be a more appropriate place for him. So we went.

Here's what we learned. The super painful looking boils and bumps are most likely fungal. Which is much better than staph boils. Basically a bad diaper rash caused by yeast... due to the crazy strong antibiotics. He's never, until now, had a diaper rash. It's been the clearest part of his skin. And with three kids and lots of friends with babies, I have never seen something like this "diaper rash." So he is now on an oral and a topical anti-fungal. Not good or fun, but much less scary than staph. And because of his neck (and face) which looks bad but not as bad or as painful as the bumps on his hips, we are back in the strong antibiotics. It does look like its heading in the direction of the impetigo, so we are trying to stop it in its tracks.  It felt a little crazy to go to ER and leave with diaper rash as your diagnosis, but with his history of Superbugs and viruses, there wasn't really another choice. And it was unfortunately time to get back on antibiotics to avoid what happened before. 

It feels like a crazy cycle we've gotten ourselves in. Just keep praying for his healing. And that these medicines work to heal his infections so we can get back to trying to heal his underlying issues of eczema, allergies and his confused immune system. 




I'll spare you the diaper pics, but if anyone is dealing with something like this, I am happy to share and compare notes. Just email me. Lisacorinne at gmail. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Corinne,
    I was reading some more of your blog. Your little guy is adorable and love those big blue eyes. I wanted to refer you to some case studies done by those trying Dr. Aron. There are new ones added monthly but I think it's proof positive of the concept. Please have a look. Wishing your little guy lots of healing!
    http://eczemasense.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/dr-aron-case-studies.pdf

    ReplyDelete